Ezekiel 48:35

Ezekiel 48:35 - And the name of that city shall be "THE LORD IS THERE"

Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Mother's Day Blog

Full disclosure: I have amazing parents. By extension, my grandparents are pretty phenomenal as well. 

To prove it, let me share with you a couple years of my life which shaped me into who I am today.

My grandmother on my mom's side is Virginia Irene Evans; a woman whom I love very much. My grandma, who we called Grandma Ginny, passed away of Alzheimer's Disease when I was a sophomore in high school. For about two or three years leading up to the day of her passing, my grandma and grandpa (Lynn) lived with my parents, sister, and I in Ocala, Florida. 

Back up with me several years to when my sister was being brought into this world. My mom was pregnant with Lindsay, while the two-year old all-star version of me sat in the background unaware of the entire situation, which was intermixed with my dad fighting cancer in the hospital. I know very few details about this time of my life, but one of the main ones is this: without Grandma Ginny, I doubt any of us would have made it through those days. While my mom did all the "I'm about to give birth" things, and while my dad did all the "I'm about to survive cancer like a champ" things, my grandma did all the "I'm about to be amazing" things. She took care of me, made all the things run smoothly, and got to be witness to the joy of seeing my sister born on her husband's, my grandfather's, birthday, March 15th. In very few words, my grandma is an amazing person.

Jump back to the days in Ocala, Florida. 

Grandma Ginny has Alzheimer's. But Alzheimer's wasn't her. She was still loving and gentle. I have never in all my days heard a sweeter voice sing than hers. Nor have I heard the word "diddy" more than I did in those days. (And no, my grandma did not have an affinity for the hip-hop icon P-Diddy. Rather, diddy was just her word meaning any random thing she wanted it to. The family will remember well with me.) My grandma loved to laugh, and we were very good at making that happen regularly. Another key thing about my grandma, which is hard to hear, is that she could not function on her own.

She would watch Dora the Explorer like a child would. I can sing all the Disney Sing-Along Songs, as we regularly watched them and sang our hearts out. And everyday, my mom would take care of her mom as if she were her mother's mother, bathing her, feeding her, everything a mother would do for their child. Though this time, the child cared for the mother. 

In those moldable years of my life, I saw the humility and service of my parents in full force, and for that I am forever grateful. 

My parents are Douglas and Valerie Reed, and I am forever grateful to be their son. I am blessed, privileged, thankful, joyful, happy, and so on. I still wonder some days how I am where I am today. But I know this much: with who I have learned from, I cannot sit back and waste my life. 

My grandmother was victim to an awful disease. Alzheimer's sucks, just like cancer and all the others. But ever greater than cancer, my grandmother was subject to an amazing grace: the love of her daughter, my wonderful mother. 

I always wish I had known my grandmother without Alzheimer's. To talk to her, to hear the wisdom and love she undoubtedly possessed. To get homemade cookies and late night grandma stories. To get into trouble when I was mean to my sister. But I think, amongst the Alzheimer's, I knew my grandma very well. I saw her life being lived out through my mom. My grandma must have been pretty amazing to have raised such a wonderful daughter. I did know my grandma, and to this day I know who she was and is.

Let's get to Jesus. I do wish so often, as we all do, that I could have walked in the physical presence of Jesus. (I'm tearing up a bit as I write this.) But I know, as I watched my parents so lovingly care for my grandparents during those years, that I was walking in the presence of my King. Yeah, things were tough some times. My parents aren't perfect, but neither am I. But, I think, that Jesus is greater than any small difficulty. He sure is bigger than Alzheimer's; my parents are proof of that. 

My job, which I love, is to teach 4th and 5th grade kids about Jesus. They all well know this story about my grandma and my mom. Every time I tell this story, it is paired with this Scripture from Philippians chapter two:

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Jesus saved us by humility, and we are instructed by his life to live in humility. My mom, my parents' taught me humility in those days. 

Valerie Diane Reed, mom, thank you.
Douglas James Reed, dad, thank you.

In the awful suffering of my grandma's disease, the glory of Jesus was made plain to me because of your love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, self-control, and all the rest. Your humility was and is evident. 

I wish I could say it in fewer words so more would read it, but mom and dad, the Lord God Almighty is well proud of you, for your service to me, Lindsay, and the many many others who have known your loving friendship, family, and care. 

Thanks to my dad's parents, James and Sharon. The two of you make me laugh and cry with joy often, your grace is abounding. 

Lindsay, little sister, we have a lot to live up to, but we're well prepared. 

Jesus, thank you for being our Mighty King. Let us be your humble servants. 

For Mother's Day, mom, I can't be with you. I'm stuck in the gross midwest while you party in Florida. But I know one day we will be in heaven, and I can't think of many people who I'd rather spend eternity with than you. And I know that when Jesus calls you home, the angels will stand in awe, telling each other how much you did live like our King. And mom, not to end on a down note, but a guarantee: should Alzheimer's come upon you, as I know you fear, you can know full well that Lindsay and I will be there, and we will love you forever, we will love you for always.

Love you mom. Thanks for being like Jesus. I can only hope to find a woman like you someday to call my wife. Love you mom.

P.S.
Dad you're awesome too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment