Ezekiel 48:35

Ezekiel 48:35 - And the name of that city shall be "THE LORD IS THERE"

Monday, December 9, 2013

GPS

Global Positioning Systems are very useful! They are so handy! Heavens to Betsy, they're so cool.

Recently, I drove across the land of the USA, from Wichita, Kansas to the grand land of Springfield, Illinois. I used my fabled and glorious GPS unit to aid me along my journey. That way, I didn't really even need to know how to get where I was going, I just needed to go.

So, when the GPS voice said things like "Turn left in 1 mile" or the dreaded "Continue for 197 miles" all I needed to do was go, carefree as to whether or not the GPS lady was right.

On the way, my dad called a few times and asked me, "Hey son! Where are ya?!?" And all I could say was, "I don't know, I'm just following the GPS!"

I didn't really need to know anything about the path I was on, I just knew the GPS was right.

In this, we find a couple lessons. 

First - trust is great! Trust in God. 

But alas, that's not my point here. The second point is the biggest: we may hear from teachers, preachers, friends, and parents about how to follow God, what is true, who he is, and so on. That's great. It's good to have teachers. Buuuuuut, if all we do is listen and never actually see for ourselves where we are going or why we are going, then the path becomes worthless and we may veer off into the wrong place.

My point is this: As Christians, as disciples and followers of Jesus, it is important for us to know why we believe what we believe. This cannot replace faith or trust, though the enhancement of the two by knowing is valuable beyond value. 

So, simply put, think about what you believe. Ask yourself why you believe it! Find out why Jesus really is truth. That puts you along his path, as you will find that Jesus truly does bring life. He is our redeemer and our provider. Don't simply listen and say, "OK, I guess I believe that stuff too." Actually fight to believe it! Wrestle with your mind and find Jesus to be who he is. Then you will know your King all the more and will be able to lead others along the path to him.

If all we ever do is follow a static set of codes and the regularity of religion, Jesus may never actually have our hearts. Follow Jesus, and find out the path to him beyond just listening. Go and know the map through and through, and thus be able to lead others to Jesus by his power.




No comments:

Post a Comment