Ezekiel 48:35

Ezekiel 48:35 - And the name of that city shall be "THE LORD IS THERE"

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Lynn Evans, Breakfast, and His Wife

Lynn Evans, 85, of Carterville, formerly of Anna, died at 9:48 am Wednesday, February 17, 2016, at Parkway Manor in Marion. 
On Tuesday, February 16, 2016, I left Wichita to drive to southern Illinois thinking my grandpa still had more days ahead of him, not knowing that in less than 24 hours I would be, along with family all around, mourning the loss of my grandfather on my mother's side of the family. As I drove those nine hours, my mind went to all the things of Grandpa Lynn, and I realized something: my grandpa was a pastor, a shepherd, and a humble man of God.

My dad's dad, Grandpa Jim, has often been quoted by my dad as saying, "The most effective sermon is a life lived out for God." And in that respect, my friends, my Grandpa Lynn preached the best sermon I have ever heard. So, I would like to take you through his life for a moment, to honor Grandpa Lynn the best I can. Let's break it up into sections: Breakfast and Grandma Ginny.

Breakfast
I love eating breakfast. Eggs, sausage, bacon, coffee, toast, pancakes, bananas, biscuits, hashbrowns, apple butter...breakfast is the greatest creation the world has ever known. My grandpa excelled at breakfast. When we visited Illinois, breakfast was my most cherished time in the home of my grandparents. Grandpa Lynn would rise at 5:00 in the morning and start his work on this meal fit for royalty.

My grandpa's specialties, from my soul and stomach's perspective, were sausage, eggs, and biscuits. Oftentimes people dream of their first meal in heaven, well here is mine. Breakfast prepared by my grandpa. The aroma would begin to fill the house and I would desire sleep no more, as the promise of glorious food echoed in my nostrils. No matter when it was, I was up and ready for this feast.

I wish I could take each of you to sit there, around that table that squished you if you sat on the wrong side, and enjoy breakfast with my grandpa. It was this simple meal, I think, that I have found the depths of my inspiration to remain simple in my pursuits. Grandpa Lynn, who had no middle name, was a simple man. He loved coffee, good food, and his wife.

Grandma Ginny
On Saturday, February 20, 2016, my cousin Keith and I stood from our seats in the pew, front left of the right aisle, and walked to the podium to speak at Grandpa Lynn's funeral. Keith told a story about a Christmas that was heaping with gifts, the biggest amount ever. This was the last Christmas there was before Alzheimer's started taking its toll on my grandma. Keith recounted that we had such a giant Christmas that year because our grandpa wanted this last one with my grandma aware to be special.

In the years that followed, Grandma Ginny's Alzheimer's progressed, as it does. Her condition slowly grew more sorrowful, harder to watch, and scarier for us. In those times, however, my grandpa's love for my grandma didn't only remain steady, it grew more and more and more. Grandpa Lynn, simple, humble, kind Grandpa Lynn, loved his wife, my mom's mom, my grandma, more than anyone can love another person.

Eventually, my grandparents moved in with my family and I in Florida. This meant a lot of things. First and foremost, we had our very own five-star chef in the house, with meals fit for royalty on most nights. My sister and I, in middle school at the time, would be leaned on more for things around the house. This also meant that I had front row seats to seeing what it truly means to love someone with all that you are.

So when I say that my Grandpa Lynn preached the greatest sermon I have ever heard, I truly mean that. I am blessed to have a wonderful family from which I have learned many things, from Grandpa Jim and Grandma Sharon, my own parents, Lindsay, and now my wife Caitlin. And amongst all of these people, I have my Grandma Ginny and Grandpa Lynn, whose love I will never forget. The gentle spirit of Grandma Ginny and the deep love of Grandpa Lynn will always remain in my heart, soul, and mind.

My job these days is that of a children's minister of sorts. As such, I look into things that deal with encouraging kids and uplifting them in tough times. Recently I came across an article about a scene from one of the thousands of Land Before Time movies. This scene finds Little Foot, the main dinosaur, running away after his mother had just passed away and encountering an old, wise dinosaur named Rooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzf0SFlicN8

In that scene, Rooter tells Little Foot that his mother will always live on with him if he remembers what she taught him. As I look on that scene with my Grandpa Lynn in mind, I think about the things my grandpa gave to me and to all of us, his family, that we will always hold onto. For me, it's simple, breakfast and the way he loved my Grandma Ginny. Love for each other shouldn't only remain steady, it should increase more and more and more, just as Jesus' love for us will not diminish but will go further up and further in to his grace, kingdom, and life.

Grandpa Lynn, thank you for who you were in this life. It showed me more about Jesus than you will ever know. I was watching and even now, looking back, I see so much more. And when I look deeper, I see that your life echoed Jesus as you loved grandma more and more. Just like you told your nurse at Parkway not too long ago, "Son, there's two things you need to remember: Jesus and family."

Thank you Grandpa Lynn, for being my grandpa.






No comments:

Post a Comment